Asbestos Removal (Abatement)
Reviewing the analytical test reports, Jaspro Environmental Services can determine the appropriate handling technique to be used. For example, some asbestos types have higher fibre counts, and then require different and more costly respirators for the workers.
Asbestos Removal Preparation
Safe and effective asbestos removal requires a thorough site assessment, careful planning, and following stringent removal techniques.
Work Area preparation steps include:
- work area to be carefully wrapped to prevent asbestos fibres from escaping work area
- covering any remaining furniture, finishes remaining in the work area with polyethylene
- special protection is given to wood floors and carpets because the removal process can involve a ‘wet’ removal technique.
- entrances to work areas are curtained to restrict air passage
- setup of decontamination area consisting of a clean change room, a shower room, and a dirty change or equipment room separated by curtain doorways is sometimes required.
- air handling system installed inside the work area to draw fresh air in. This will reduce fibre count inside and prevent airborne fibre from escaping the work area.
Personal protective equipment is required for all persons working in area where asbestos is being removed. The equipment includes:
Required for all construction work and most maintenance work around friable asbestos. The most important type of protection is, of course, the respirator. The type of respirators used depends on the type of asbestos being removed.
Workers wear protective clothing to prevent asbestos fibres from being carried around on the clothing. Workers change from street clothes to protective clothing in a designated change area. Other protective equipment such as eye protection or hard hats may also be necessary.
Asbestos Removal Process
Once the work area has been prepared, and staff equipped with protective gear, all identified asbestos is carefully removed, and placed in approved, tightly sealed bags.
Care is taken to ensure proper negative air pressure is maintained inside the work area to keep asbestos fibres contained.
At the end of the cleanup, all bagged asbestos is removed from the site and disposed of in accordance to provincial regulations. Similarly, single-use protective gear is also properly disposed of.
Work area protective coverings and enclosures are removed. Air handling equipment disassembled.
Any furniture and fixtures moved from the area, are returned to their original location.
Final inspection is conducted to ensure everything 'back to normal'.
Get answers to your questions about asbestos:
Please complete required fields ( * = required)
Or call us: 902.354.8425
Source: Asbestos Training Manual, Pinchin LeBlanc
Our 100% satisfaction guarantee
Concerned about living or working in the presence of asbestos, mold or lead paint? Call 902.354.8425 to get answers to your questions.
Our Office & Warehouse Location
77 Innovation Avenue
Port Mersey Commercial Park
Brooklyn, Nova Scotia
B0T 1K0 Canada
Our Service Area
Anywhere in mainland Nova Scotia
Connect with Us
Looking for Jaspro Services?
Find our sister company at: jasproservices.ca